Chicken Soup from Scratch
For: 12 portions
- 1 whole chicken
- 350 grams Egg Noodles
- 3 quarts water
- 1 gros large onion, diced
- 3 grosses large carrots, peeled and sliced
- 3 grosses large stalks of celery (including leaves), diced
- 4 gousses cloves garlic, diced (more if you're really sick, garlic is a good cold killer!)
- 2 feuilles bay leaves
- 2 tsp dried sage
- 1½ tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp dried rosemary
- 1 tsp dried marjoram
- salt and pepper to taste
- Place the chicken in a large Dutch oven or soup pot. Cover with water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer until the chicken is falling off the bone, about an hour. Remove the chicken, and let cool to touch. Remove the meat from the bones.
- Meanwhile, add the onion, carrots, celery, garlic, bay leaves, sage, thyme, rosemary, and marjoram to the broth. Bring back to a boil, reduce heat and simmer until the veggies are tender, 15-20 minutes.
- Add the noodles, just a few at a time, to the simmering broth. Once all noodles are added, also add in the chicken. Boil noodles for 3-5 minutes until they are tender and no longer doughy. Season with salt and pepper, and serve.
Find this recipe and many more at: Little Red Book