Ginger Oat + Pistachio Bars (Dairy-Free & Gluten-Free)
These bars are definitely a decadent treat. Perfectly paired with an afternoon cup of coffee or tea to counter the sugar. Though I cut them into 9 bars here, I later cut each bar in half - a much more manageable serving size / dose of sugar.
For: 9 portions
- Base Layer
- 1 cup oat flour
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- 1/2 cup shredded coconut
- 1/2 cup rice flour
- 2 tbsp flax meal
- 1 tbsp candied ginger, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup + 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 tbsp brown rice syrup
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1/2 cup sugar
- Top Layer
- 1/3 cup coconut oil
- 4 tsp ground ginger
- 2 tbsp brown rice syrup
- 3 tbsp maple syrup
- 1-1 1/2 cups icing sugar
- 3 tbsp pistachios, chopped, to decorate
- Preheat oven to 340ºF. Line a square pan with parchment (cut to size) and set aside.
- In a large bowl, stir together the base layer dry ingredients, and set aside. In a small pot over medium heat, melt the coconut oil, brown rice syrup and maple syrup. Once melted and combined, whisk in the sugar. Allow the mixture to heat, while continuing to whisk, until all the sugar has dissolved.
- Pour the hot mixture over the dry ingredients and use a rubber spatula to combine until no visible dry bits remain. Transfer the mixture to the prepared baking tin and gently press down with the back of the spatula. Using damp hands, continue to spread and press the mixture evenly throughout the pan.
- Bake for 20 minutes, until the edges are set. The centre will harden on the counter as it cools. Allow the bottom layer to cool for 1 hour.
- After 1 hour of cooling, prepare the top layer. In a small pot over medium heat, combine all the top layer ingredients, except for the icing sugar. Once melted and combined, gradually stir in the icing sugar. Taste after you've added 1 cup, and assess if it needs more sugar.
- Pour the mixture over the base. Use a spatula to evenly spread the icing. Sprinkle with pistachios, then use your hands to lightly press the pistachios into the icing. Allow to set for 1-2 hours, before removing from the pan and cutting into 9 squares.
- Verser le mélange sur la couche de base. Utiliser une spatule pour étendre le glaçage de manière uniforme. Saupoudrer de pistaches, puis appuyer légèrement sur les pistaches pour les incorporer au glaçage. Laisser reposer de 1 à 2 heures avant de démouler et couper en neuf carrés.