Moroccan Potato and Lentil Tacos with Harissa
For: 8 portions
- Harissa Potato and Lentil FillingHarissa Potato and Lentil Filling
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 sweet potato, peeled and diced
- 1 small potato, diced
- 1 cup dried red lentils
- 2 cups stewed tomatoes
- 1 cup spicy Mina harissa
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 tbsp granulated sugar
- Salt and fresh cracked pepper, to taste
- 8 petites small tortillas
- Fresh arugula
- 1 avocado, diced
- Soft unripened goats cheese
- Scallions, green parts only, thinly sliced
- Liquid honey, for drizzling
- In a large dutch oven or heavy bottomed soup pot, add the olive oil over medium-low heat. Add onion and sauté until translucent, about 7 minutes. Add diced potatoes and continue to cook for another 5 minutes. Stir in lentils, stewed tomatoes, harissa, vegetable broth and sugar. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, cover, and let cook, stirring occasionally, until the mixture begins to thicken and most of the liquid has cooked off, about 45 minutes.
- While the lentils are cooking, prepare the taco toppings.
- When lentils are cooked, divide the mixture among the tortillas. Top with arugula, diced avocado, crumbled goats cheese, sliced scallions and a drizzle of honey.
MAKE IT GLUTEN FREE: use corn tortillas.
MAKE IT VEGAN: leave out the goats cheese and replace honey with agave nectar.
Any leftover taco filling tastes great topped on some cooked rice.